The Royal Gorge Area is at the center of many mountain and road biking trails. Trailheads are easily accessible from US Highway 50 and can also be found along the scenic Gold Belt Tour (some of these roads may require four-wheel drive). One of the most popular areas to mountain bike is Red Canyon Park. Enjoy the scenery as you pedal through gorgeous sandstone rock and spires.
The Lower Arkansas Mountain Biking Association, LAMBA, has created maps with descriptions and directions to a number of trailheads including:
- Section 13: A moderate singletrack trail for novice and intermediate riders through the junipers and pinons at the base of the Wet Mountains. LAMBA Chops takes you though the lower loop, touring more open terrain, while the section called Hotshots offers a slightly more technical and steep experience through denser trees. It's about six miles total roundtrip with an elevation gain of 700 feet to the top of Hotshots. Section 13 is great because it's close to town with great views of Canon City and Pikes Peak as you ride alongside deer, wild turkey and other native wildlife.
- Oil Well Flats: A collection of moderate singletrack trail for the intermediate rider. This trail takes the rider through junipers, pinons and open areas caused by a 1988 fire. Several dirt roads run through the area and connect sections of singletrack trail. It's about seven miles roundtrip on the newer singletrack. The Oil Well Flats trails are close to Canon City with great views of the city and the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to the southwest.
- Hogbacks Open Space: The Canon City Hogbacks offer fun, roller-coaster style riding with easy-to-moderate climbs and descents. Ride up "Old Skyline Drive" for a more difficult and technical experience, or ride the double-track on the east side of the open space for an easy spree through the area. Skyline Drive also makes a nice pavement option. It's about four miles for a straight out and back ride. The Hogbacks are awesome because they offer wonderful roller coasters (best from N to S) and a unique geologic experience.
- Red Canyon Road Ride: This is a high quality out and back road ride, heading north from Canon City, taking you past the Red Canyon Mountain Park. The ride is 28 miles roundtrip with 1,100 feet elevation gain. The ride can easily be shortened by turning around whenever you need. This is a scenic ride that is light on traffic.
- River Trail - Recreation Path: The River Trail is an easy path that follows the Arkansas River through Canon City. It is a very popular trail, so expect to encounter others on the trail, especially on nice days. It is 5.5 miles one-way with 200 feet of climbing from east to west. This is a novice trail great for families.
- Tunnel Drive - Recreation Path: The Tunnel Drive offers the ease of a recreational path to the sweeping vistas of the Royal Gorge's exit to town. It's just two miles one-way, so this makes it perfect for families. Look up and enjoy the beautiful cliffs and foothills, and enjoy the tunnels at the beginning of the drive.
In addition to these trails, Canon City has a Pump Track located just east of the Train Depot. This track, which is located right alongside the River Trail, is Canon City's newest addition for bicycle lovers. Pump tracks offer a great place to hone your skills.